Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Love/ Hate with the nighttime oncall's at the pediatrician's office!

In standing covered in vomit, baby vomit holding the phone to my ear while my nine month old shivers in the warm tub. I'm shaking because I am not sure what to do, do I go to the emergency room like I always seem to initially want to do but have yet to do, thankfully. Or do I just give her another bath and put her back to bed in hopes that this was a one time deal because of the constant mucus that has been filling her stomach all day...... Hmmmmm........

Well, after answering a series of thirty questions, like, "Has your child suffered a severe head trauma?" -- I mean really? Do you think if my child had suffered a severe head trauma I would be calling the on-call number? NO! I'd be driving 95MPH to the nearest hospital while on the phone with 911 crying hysterically. Or, " was her vomit the color off ground coffee beans?" I don't drink coffee was all I could think of saying back to the nurse filtering my information on the other end of the phone. Seriously, WTF would cause coffee bean like vomit? She didn't eat an ant hole.

After getting off the phone more frusterated that I had been when I was cleaning the throw up from my child's hair I dried off her little body and got her all cozy wrapped up in a blanket. She was fast asleep on my shoulder as a hose that used to be her mouth continually poured mucus all down my shoulder. I didnt have the heart to set her down until I knew she was completely asleep. I still dont have the heart to be frustrated that I smell like vomit and am crusty with mucus. I just feel sad that my little baby is so helplessly trying to sleep.

The nurse ended our conversation by telling me strict instructions as far as when and how to feed the baby for the next two days. Only expressed breast milk and pedialyte. Wait, I didnt have pedialyte in my fridge. She tells me to go to the store and buy some. Hmmmm, I tell her I am a single mom and she responds by asking me to ask my neighbors. ITS TEN FORTY FIVE PM and my neighbors all have little children and babies.

Wow, reassured that I am truly a single mom tonight. Holding off on the pedialyte until morning and offering her spoon fed tablespoons of water until morning if she wakes up. SIGH. Wishing there was someone sitting on the couch next to me telling me she will be ok and offering to refill the humidifier when it empties.

No comments:

Post a Comment